Home • Services • Low Cost Spay/Neuter
Low Cost Spay/Neuter for Cats
At Animal Medical Center, our goal is to provide our patients with exceptional veterinary care at an affordable cost. We believe that cost should never stand in the way of your pet enjoying a long and healthy life—that’s why we offer low cost spay and neuter services for cats in Tuscaloosa.
Common Myths About Spaying and Neutering
Spaying or neutering your pet does not:
- Cause laziness or hyperactivity.
- Reduce its instinct to protect your family and home.
- Cause immature behaviors.
- Postpone or delay normal behavioral maturity.
- Alter his or her personality in any manner.
Spaying Female Cats
The ideal age for removal of the ovaries and uterus is four to six months of age.
- Eliminates the risk of ovarian and uterine cancer.
- Eliminates unwanted pregnancies.
- If spayed before the first heat cycle, your pet has less than 1% chance of developing mammary cancer. If spayed after one heat cycle, your pet has an 8% chance of developing mammary cancer. If spayed after two heat cycles, the risk increases to 26%. After two years, no protective benefit exist.
- Pets with diabetes or epilepsy should be spayed to prevent hormonal changes that may interfere with medication.
Neutering Male Cats
The ideal age for removal of the testicles and spermatic cord is four to six months of age.
- Eliminates the risk of testicular cancer, the second most common tumor in dogs.
- Greatly reduces the risk of prostate cancer and prostatitis.
- Reduces the risk of perianal tumors.
- Reduces the risk to roam and fighting.
- Eliminates or reduces spraying or marking in males neutered before six months of age or before the onset of these behaviors.
- Eliminates the risk and spread of sexually transmitted diseases.
- Eliminates unwanted litters.
For pricing and additional information about our low-cost feline spay and neuter services, please call us at 205-758-7295.